I was naked and you clothed Me, I was sick and you visited Me with help and ministering care, I was in prison and you came to see Me. (Matthew 25:36 AMP)
The Brass Ensemble was one of several music groups providing music at this year’s Grace United Methodist Church Benefit Concert on Saturday, January 4, 2014 at 7:00 pm. We played “In The Bleak of Midwinter” for brass quintet.
“In the Bleak Midwinter” is a Christmas carol based on a poem by the English poet Christina Rossetti written before 1872 in response to a request from the magazine Scribner’s Monthly for a Christmas poem. It was published posthumously in Rossetti’s Poetic Works in 1904.
Lyrics to In The Bleak of Midwinter:
- In the bleak mid-winter / Frosty wind made moan, / Earth stood hard as iron, / Water like a stone;/ Snow had fallen, snow on snow,/ Snow on snow, / In the bleak mid-winter / Long ago.
- Our God, Heaven cannot hold Him / Nor earth sustain; / Heaven and earth shall flee away / When He comes to reign: / In the bleak mid-winter / A stable-place sufficed / The Lord God Almighty, / Jesus Christ.
- Enough for Him, whom cherubim / Worship night and day, / A breastful of milk / And a mangerful of hay; / Enough for Him, whom angels / Fall down before, / The ox and ass and camel / Which adore.
- Angels and archangels / May have gathered there, / Cherubim and seraphim / Thronged the air, / But only His mother / In her maiden bliss, / Worshipped the Beloved / With a kiss.
- What can I give Him, / Poor as I am? / If I were a shepherd / I would bring a lamb, / If I were a wise man / I would do my part, / Yet what I can I give Him, / Give my heart.
The focus of this benefit concert is prison and jail ministries, based on Matthew 25:36, “… I was in prison and you came to visit me.”
The collections will be donated to All God’s Children Camp and the KAIROS Prison Ministry. There will also be a love offering collected at the concert that will be used to sponsor campers and support the Prince William County jail.
You are encouraged to invite family and friends to attend this event so that, together, we can spread God’s love to our neighbors and live out our call to serve our brothers and sisters in need.
See Benefit Concert 4 JAN 14 post for additional details.
Music for 4 JAN 14: